Explore other case studies
A Need for Flexibility
The Brooklyn Navy Yard’s previous accounting system, built in SQL, came with significant annual cost and limited flexibility. In order to manage its 3.6 million square feet of space with more than 250 tenants, Brooklyn Navy Yard had to find a solution that allowed them to manage rent, parking, utilities for tenants and projects, contracts, payments to contractors, and receipts from the City of New York. Employees had to manage a lot of data redundancy while dealing with siloed databases that didn’t link to the core accounting system.
- Headquarters: Brooklyn, NY
- Employees: 201-500
- Industry: Non-profit Organization Management
Brooklyn Navy Yard was able to keep their accounting team lean – while the business saw an increase of over 50% in rented square footage and more than doubled their revenue.
Codence helped The Yard integrate Genesis Accounting for managing rent, parking, utilities for tenants and projects, contracts, payments to contractors, and receipts from the City of New York. By sharing data outside isolated silos, accounting and other errors were spotted sooner by virtue of being seen by multiple sets of eyes.
“We needed a complete business management system for handling all our operations in a single platform. FileMaker was a perfect fit.”
- Bernie Dushman, Former Senior VP of Technology
An increase of over 50% in rented square footage
More than doubled their revenue.
The answer to Brooklyn Navy Yard’s scattered data problem came in the form of Genesis Accounting and a partnership between their in-house FileMaker team and the developers at Codence.
Built in FileMaker itself, Genesis integrates seamlessly with other FileMaker solutions, giving Brooklyn Navy Yard a unified platform on which to build. Brooklyn Navy Yard also chose to fully customize functionality based on their business’s unique requirements. After gaining a comprehensive understanding of employee workflow, the Codence team created a deeply customized and integrated solution using Genesis Transactions.
- When the Brooklyn Navy Yard switched from using a costly and rigid SQL data management tool to the FileMaker platform with a tailored Genesis Accounting solution, they were able to streamline their workflow processes to increase both productivity and revenue.
- Productivity increased beyond accounting, it allowed their employees to spend dramatically less time inputting data because they could “write once, use many.”
- Without adding any new headcount Brooklyn Navy Yard more than doubled their rented space resulting in doubling their revenue.
Let’s start something!
Speak to one of our expert consultants about how we can help you develop FileMaker solutions to meet your business needs today. During this free consultation, we’ll address your questions, learn more about your business, and make some immediate recommendations.